Wednesday, October 22, 2008

7,257-Mile Marathon

Bar-tailed Godwit from wikipediaNot my marathon, of course, I don't think I'd finish the 26 mile version in under a week. But a Bar-tailed Godwit affectionately known as "E7" completed the journey, tracked by satellite and watched by researches in Alaska and New Zealand.

DiscoveryNews has an online report, while a more detailed article titled, "On Scimitar Wings: Long-distance Migration by the Bar-tailed Godwit and Bristle-thighed Curlew" appears in Birding. (Edited to add: "On Scimitar Wings" is only available in the dead tree issue, hopefully it will be in the online archives in the future).

For the record, I'm no longer dreading our impending eight-hour drive, which we're spreading over two days.

Image courtesy of wikipedia.org

-

1 comment:

anushka said...

i visited your blog.excellent.i linked you.my blog has many birds but i am not an expert in birding.i request you to visit my blog.

Locations of visitors to this page