Friday, April 27, 2007

BioBlitz Update

The best I can say for the moment is, "More to come!" I just have to find the time to do so.

These are the last few moments I will have computer access for a few days so a real recounting of my "miniblitz" won't be available until next week. The good news is I did manage to spend some time yesterday morning patrolling the yard, mostly "blitzing" what I know: the birds. During my "Area Search," the eBird protocol I was following, I recorded all birds seen/heard, as well as a not-so-meticulous inventory of plants I could identify.

I had a few questions about the BioBlitz procedure while I was birding (should I count birds that are flying over, but not in, my area? If I know a plant is here, but not yet emerged enough to really identify, should I still count it? Should I count our dog, cats, and aquarium fish?), but I pushed them out of my head before I suffered from paralysis by analysis. I simply enjoyed my time outdoors, especially since I was encountering several "first of the year" yard birds: Eastern Towhees, Brown Thrashers, Tree Swallows, Field Sparrow, and the like.

More on my experience soon!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page